This error is referring to the healthcare providers professional taxonomy code. A taxonomy code is a national specialty code used by providers to indicate their specialty. The taxonomy code set is published by Washington Publishing Company where you can browse the Health Care Provider Taxonomy Code Set.
Finding your taxonomy code from NPI
- Go to https://npiregistry.cms.hhs.gov/NPPESRegistry/NPIRegistryHome.do
- Towards the bottom of the page, click on Search for Individual Provider
- On the search page, enter the providers type 1 (individual) NPI.
- At the bottom of the form, enter the text that you see in the security image.
- Click the Search button.
- On the results page, towards the bottom, you should see the providers taxonomy code listed. Make sure you enter it in to Therabill exactly as it is listed.
If you receive this error, then the taxonomy code you provided on your claims is not valid.
Here is how you can edit your taxonomy code in Therabill.
- Open up the edit rendering provider form. If you are on the error page, this can be opened up by clicking the edit icon next to the rendering provider (not billing provider) on the error page.
- On the edit provider form, change the taxonomy code to the valid taxonomy code that you found using either Washington Publishing Company website or the NPI database.
- Save your changes.
- RENDERING PROVIDER SPECIALTY CODE IS MISSING OR INVALID