This is not very common, but when it happens, it can be a real pain to figure out. Some payers, usually Medicaid, may require additional information about your rendering provider (therapist) on your electronic claim (EDI claim). They may mention requiring information in Loop 2300 in the NTE segment of your EDI claim. This article will explain how to get information going out on your electronic claims in Loop 2300 NTE for a specific therapist to a specific insurance company.
Loop 2300 Segment NTE
Officially, this is called a claim note. According to the standards, this loop and segment is required when in the judgement of the provider, the information is needed to substantiate the medical treatment and is not supported elsewhere within the claim data set.
Only use this if the payer is requesting it. If you enter a NTE segment (claim note) and the payer is not requesting it, they will more than likely reject your claim.
This information is attached to a provider and an insurance company. By following the directions below, you will be telling Therabill to put information in Loop 2300 Segment NTE for all claims for a specific therapist to a specific payer (insurance company).
- Put your mouse over Providers in the top navigation bar of Therabill.
- In the drop down menu, click on Provider List.
- You will now see a list of your therapists. Click the edit icon icon associated with the therapist/rendering provider that you would like to add the claim note on.
- The edit provider form will open. At the top, click the Clm NTE tab. You will now see a form as shown in the image to the right.
Use the form at the top to add a claim note for this therapist to a specific payer and enter the following fields.
- Payer - Start typing in the name of the payer and a list of insurance companies will appear as you type. Select the payer that you want the note to go out on claims to.
- Code - The options are ADD and CER. You will want to check with the payer to find out the note referencing code that they are expecting in NTE01.
- Note Text - Enter the text of the note. What they are expecting in NTE02.
Once you have entered the information above, click the Add button to save the claim note.
Deleting a claim note
If you have added a claim note for a provider to a specific insurance company and now you need to delete it. Follow the instructions above for navigating to the Clm NTE section of the edit provider form. Once there, you will see the claim note listed (see image to the right). Click the delete icon to delete that claim note.
Editing a claim note
To edit a claim note, you would simply delete it and then re-add a new one.