This article will go over the add provider form. The add provider form in Therabill is where you can add a rendering provider (therapist) to your Therabill account.
What is a rendering provider?
In general, a rendering provider is the therapist who performs (renders) services. On an insurance claim form, the rendering provider's name goes in Box 31 of the CMS-1500 claim form and the rendering provider's National Provider Identifier (NPI) goes in to Box 24J on the claim form. In Therabill, a rendering provider is someone who can be scheduled in your Therabill schedule.
Additional fee warning
Therabill's subscription models are based on the number of rendering providers you have entered into Therabill. Adding additional rendering providers may increase your subscription rate. For your current subscription rates, put your mouse over Admin in the top green navigation bar (while logged in to Therabill) and then click Member Info in the drop down menu. At the right of your Member Info page, you will see your subscription rates.
How to add a therapist
Your rendering providers are under Providers in Therabill. In the top navigation bar of Therabill, click on Providers to go to your Provider List. At the top right of our provider list, click the Add Provider button. You will now see the form as shown on the right. On the left of the form, you will see where you can enter the therapists general information.
- Is an assistant? Check this box if the provider you are adding is an assistant and will need a supervising provider. Therabill will then request a supervising provider on your sessions for this provider. For more information about supervisory sessions, please see: Supervisory Sessions for Assistants (PTA, SLPA, OTA).
- NPI: Enter the therapists type 1 (individual) NPI. This is the NPI that will go in Box 24 J of the CMS-1500 claim form. NOTE: If, when typing in the NPI, you see the providers name in a drop down list, you can click on their name and Therabill will fill in the information as it is in the NPI registry.
- Profession Abbr: You can make your own internal codes for your therapists types. This is often used in multi-disciplinary clinics as the profession abbreviation is shown next to their name in most provider lists in Therabill.
- PQRS report as: Select the type of provider from the drop down list. This will be used in our future release of PQRS reporting.
- Credentials: Enter the providers professional credentials here. Do not enter the credentials after the first or last name of the provider on the add provider form.
- Add to group: This is not used that often. If you are using Groups in Therabill to send different billilng provider information out on all claims for this provider, then enter the Group that you created here. For more information on using Groups, please see: My therapist needs a different billing provider in Box 33.
- First Name: Enter the therapist's first name.
- Last Name: Enter the therapist's last name.
The only things that are required for creating a provider/therapist are the first and last names. However, if the provider is not an assistant (or interpreter) and you will be billing insurance, the provider must have an NPI on the claim form. Therefore, in this instance, you should enter their NPI. Everything below the last name, you can enter if you wish. This information does not go out on claim forms. For example, the Tax ID is for your records only. The Tax ID of the rendering provider does not go out on a claim form. The Tax ID that goes out on a claim form is the billing provider Tax ID. The billing provider, is usually, the information that you have entered under Admin in Therabill.
- Address: Enter the street address, followed by the Zip code, City and State. This address is for your internal records only. The rendering providers address does not go out on any insurance claims or client statements. The address on the claim forms is your billing provider address which is usually the address that you have entered under Admin in Therabill.
- License: The license number if for your records only. License numbers do not go out on claim forms since the NPI mandate. If you have an insurance company that is requiring some sort of legacy ID in Box 24 J (top half), then use the Legacy IDs tab at the top of the add / edit provider form to enter the value that you need to go out on claim forms in Box 24J for a specific insurance company.
- Tax ID: The tax ID entered here is for your records only. The rendering providers tax ID does not go out on claim forms. The tax ID that goes out on insurance claims in Box 25 is the billing providers tax ID. The billing provider tax ID is normally entered under Admin in Therabill (unless you are using Groups).
- Phone: Enter the therapist's phone number.
- Email: Enter the therapist's e-mail here.
Therabill allows you to upload an image of the therapists signature. This signature will be displayed on finalized notes created using our custom documentation system. For instructions on uploading a signature for your provider, please see: Provider Signature on Documentation.
If you enter the providers work hours here, then Therabill will automatically block out times outside of their work hours from the Availability View in your calendar.
The tabs at the top of the add / edit provider form
There are a series of tabs at the top of the add provider form. These tabs allow for additional functionality and advanced features.
By default, the NPI that you have entered for the provider above will go out on all claims in Box 24 J. Sometimes, you may need a different rendering NPI going out for your provider to a specific insurance company. You can set this up under the Ins NPI tab. From there, you can enter rules for specific insurance companies to use a different NPI in Box 24J when submitting to a specific insurance company.
This is not used that often. However, if you have an insurance company that is rejecting your claims because they are wanting Loop 2300, Segment NTE filled in with a value for this provider, then you can use this section to set that up. For instructions, please see: Clm NTE (Loop 2300, Segment NTE).
This is where you can tell Therabill to put a value in Box 24 J (top section) for a specific insurance company.
If you are using Therabill's simple pay stub feature, you can set up a provider pay schedule here. For more information, please see: Pay Stubs.
This is where you can set up a provider portal log in and set permissions for this provider. For information on the provider portal, please see: Therapist Log In to Therabill.
This is where you can find files that you have attached to your provider.
Therabill does not allow you to inactivate your providers, however, you can delete a provider. Deleting a provider is non-recoverable. However, previously created claims and documentation on the clients will not be lost. You will not be able to access this providers schedules from the calendar though, as only providers in your provider list are shown in your calendar.
For more details about deleting a provider, please see: What happens when I delete a therapist in Therabill?