To ease the burden of transitioning to a new software, the application has a convenient method for importing your Referring Providers using a CSV file. This article assumes that you have a basic knowledge of Excel and how to create a CSV file from Microsoft Excel (Google Sheets/Apple Numbers). A simple Google search for Creating a CSV file from Excel will turn up many results to help you.
You can download an example CSV file for Referring Provider import here: Referring Provider Import CSV Example.
Comma Separated Value (CSV) File
It is recommended to input the information into a spreadsheet software (i.e. Excel) and then export to a CSV file. This will make it easier for you to label the columns as described below.
Below is a list of column labels and what they refer to. These should be the values for each column in the first row of the spreadsheet as seen in the downloadable example. Labels should be in all uppercase, exactly as they are shown below.
Each row in the file will encompass all of the necessary columns for each patient's information.
Referring Provider Information
- FIRST_NAME - Referring Provider's first name
- LAST_NAME - Referring Provider's last name (if the Referring Provider is a clinic, enter the business name in this field)
- NPI - Referring Provider's NPI
- BOX_17A - Secondary ID required for some states/insurances
- BOX_17A_TYPE - Enter G2 for Commerical Number or 0B for State License Name
- TITLE - Referring Provider's title
- CREDENTIALS - Referring Provider's credentials
- LEGACY_ID - External ID from another software
- ADDRESS - Referring Provider's street address or PO Box
- ADDRESS2 - Second address line, such as a suite number
- CITY - Referring Provider's city
- STATE - Abbreviation for the Referring Provider's state
- ZIP - Referring Provider's ZIP code
- PHONE - Referring Provider's phone number
- FAX - Referring Provider's Fax number
- EMAIL - Referring Provider's email address
Once you have created your CSV file, you can now upload it and import your Referring Providers.
- Navigate to Providers > Referring Providers.
- Select Upload CSV.
- Click Choose File and use your computer's file explorer to locate the CSV file. An error check will begin automatically.
- After the error check is complete, indicate if you want duplicate entries merged and then select Import Providers at the bottom of the window.
The system will complete a basic error check when importing your Referring Providers. Basic errors that are checked include:
- Column Labels
- Empty Required Fields
- NPI Validity
If any errors are found, they will be displayed in red. You will have to correct the errors on your spreadsheet/CSV and re-upload it.
If you put a checkmark next to Merge Duplicates (by NPI), the system will check to see if the NPI already exists in your Referring Provider list. If it does, the provider's information will be replaced with the CSV file's details.
If this button is not checked, the system will not import any provider's that match an existing NPI in the application.