What is a Responsible Party?
A responsible party is the party that is going to be financially responsible for the client charges that are created through sessions for a specific client. They will be the one whose name is on the invoices created in the Client Billing area. This was previously known as the Bill To option for the client. You can attach more than one client to each responsible party, but only one responsible party can be assigned to each client.
How do I add a Responsible Party?
There are two ways to add a Responsible Party and connect it to a client.
- When on the Edit Client Page (see image 1 to the right) you can type the name of the Responsible Party into the Responsible Party box under the Billing Info tab. Once you have typed at least one character you will press the Tab key on your keyboard and a box (see image 2 to the right) will populate where you are able to enter the demographic information for the Responsible Party.You also have the option to copy the address from the client. If you would like to email the statements for the Responsible Party, make sure that you have completed that field. Once all desired fields are completed, click the Save button.
- To connect to a Responsible Party that already has been entered for another client or that was created on the Clients->Responsible Parties page you can simply begin typing the name into the Responsible Party box on the Edit Client page and a drop down list (see image 3 to the right) will populate with similar names. Once this list populates, simply click on the correct name and it will be associated with that client as the Responsible Party. Make sure to click Save on the client page to keep these changes.
How do I edit or remove a Responsible Party?
To edit the demographic information for a Responsible Party you will go to Clients->Responsible Parties and click the blue pencil next to the Responsible Party that you would like to make the edits for. Within this window you are also able to see a list of all clients associated with that specific Responsible Party by clicking the Client List tab (see image 4 to the right). To delete a Responsible Party you will simply click the red garbage can next to the party.
What does a Responsible Party affect?
- Client Balance Statement: To generate a balance statement for a Responsible Party go to Billing->Bill Client->Balance Statement and enter the name of the Responsible Party in the search box and then generate the statement.
- Ledger Statement and Copay Statement: The Responsible Party option cannot be used on either of these types of statements as these statements and their details are associated with one specific client and a Responsible Party may be tied to more than one client.
- Reminders: If you would like the Responsible Party to receive the reminder for the a client, you will have to make sure that their email and/or phone number is the one associated with the actual client's account on the Edit Client page and not just on the demographic page for the Responsible Party.
- Payment Receipts: All payment receipts will be generated for the actual client rather than for the Responsible Party as payments are entered and posted to a specific client and a Responsible Party may be tied to more than one client.