The COB Batch Insurance screen allows you to manually post insurance payments (EOBs) and easily continue the process to submit claims to additional payers. We recommend posting all manually entered insurance payments on this screen to reduce errors and ensure consistency.
Note: This article refers to manually entering payments. This is not for Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) posting. To learn more about posting an ERA, please see ERA Payment Posting.
- Navigate to Payments > Enter Payment > COB Batch Ins. Near the top of the screen, you will see 5 tabs. The Ins Pmts w/ COB will be green indicating you are on the COB Batch Ins payment screen.
- Enter the insurance company's name at the far top right. Once you select the insurance from the drop-down menu, all sessions that are currently open to that insurance company will be listed and separated by client. If you would like to only view service lines for a specific client, use the Insurance Company drop-down and select Client. Note: When filtered by Client, you have the option to view all service lines with a balance, regardless of status.
- Enter the received payment information. Not all fields are required.
Total Amount Amount of the payment Pmt Method Check, EFT/ACH, Credit Received Date Also known as the Post Date Check Date The date of the payment Check Number Enter the check number for better reporting Deposit Date The date funds were deposited Insurance Company If you searched by Client, you will have to indicate who the payment is from
- Indicate the payment, adjustment, patient responsibility, and action for each service line corresponding with the EOB.
Pmt Amt The amount paid on that specific service line Class If you use payment classes, select that here Adjustment Amount The amount the payer is reducing the charge by Adjustment Remark The reason for the adjustment (i.e. 45, 253) Post This box must be checked to apply the adjustment Patient Responsibility (PR) The amount owed by the client, according to the EOB - Copay, Deductible, or Coins (Co-insurance) Post to unassigned If the PR amount is available in the client's unassigned balance, you can apply the funds by checking this box Session Action What do you want to do with the service line after the payment is posted? (i.e. Resubmit, Close Session)
- Once all information has been entered, click Apply payments. At this point, a check will run to verify that the payments add up to the Total Amount, a Session Action has been selected for all lines with payment information entered, and that the New Balance on each line will not be negative.
The Auto-Save feature saves the amounts entered after one minute of inactivity on the page. If you leave the page and go back to it later, the information that was previously entered will be saved. The Reset Session Info button will blank out the entered amounts entirely.
How do I know if the client has unassigned funds?
Next to the client's name, you will find text that indicates the unassigned amount the client has. It will also display the unassigned amount you are applying to the current service lines. Remember, the funds are only being applied if Post to unassigned is checked.
How do I know if the client has an additional payer that I need to send the claim to?
If the payer doesn't indicate on the EOB that the claim has been forwarded to an additional payer, you will have to manually submit those close claim by choosing Resubmit as the Session Action for each line. The view each client's payer hierarchy, click the icon.
Additionally, using the icon on the right side of each service line will indicate which payer(s) the line was previously invoiced to.