Therabill will allow you to enter a payment from a client without assigning it to a specific session. This is referred to as unassigned payments to the client. In addition, Therabill will allow you to apply total payments towards a specific session exceeding the session's charge amount. This is referred to as an overpayment. There may come a time when you need to refund that money to the patient. This article will cover how to enter a client refund into Therabill.
Entering a Refund
A client refund is entered from the client payment entry form.
- Click Clients in the top navigation bar of Therabill.
- In your client list, find the client that you want to enter the refund for.
- Click the enter payment icon associated with that client.
- The Client Payment form will open up. At the top of the form, click the Refund button.
You will now see the form shown in the image to the right. At the top of the refunds page, you can optionally enter a check number, a check date, and a description of why you are entering the refund. Below that, the refund page will show two groups of items that are available to enter refunds for. NOTE: From this page, you can only enter refunds on the following two types of items.
- Unassigned Payments: These are payments that you have entered for the client without assigning them to a session.
- Overpaid Sessions: These are sessions where the total of all insurance payments, client payments, and adjustments is more than the charge amount. That is, they have a negative balance.
There are no items in the list
If neither of the two items listed above are applicable to the client, then there will be no items for you to enter a refund on. In this case, if you want to refund an amount to a client, you would need to enter a negative adjustment from the regular enter payment form (click Payments
in the top navigation bar of Therabill, find the session in the session list and click the enter payment icon
). On the enter payment form that opens, enter a negative payment amount and change the Payment type
Enter the refund amounts
Each item will have a text box under the column Refund Amount. Enter in the amount that you want to refund for each of the items. As you enter amounts into the Refund Amount text boxes, the Total Refund amount will be displayed at the top of the refunds form.
Once you have entered in the refund amounts, click the Apply Refund button at the bottom of the form.