There may come a time (especially when the AMA publishes the new CPT code set for a year) that you will need to change scheduled sessions in Therabill from one CPT code to another. It can be cumbersome to manually change each of the codes. For this reason, Therabill offers Code Swapping. Therabill's code swapping tool will allow you to do just that. Here is how.
Navigate to the CPT code in Defaults
- Click Admin in the top navigation bar of Therabill.
- Click Defaults/Settings in the sub-navigation bar.
- Click the Billing button at the top of the defaults and settings page.
Swapping CPT Codes
Click the Tools icon associated with the CPT code that you would like to change. For example, if you would like to change all sessions that have CPT code 90801 to a different CPT code, then you would find the CPT code 90801 in your CPT/Service code list and click the tools icon associated with the 90801 CPT code. A menu will then appear, in the menu click on the Swap CPT code option. This will open up the Code Swapping form (see image to the right). You can use this form to change the CPT code of all sessions in your schedule to a different CPT code that meet specific criteria that you set.
Define the CPT code change
- Change Service/CPT code: This is the CPT code that you want to change. For example, to change 90801 to 90834, you would enter 90801 in the Change Service/CPT code.
- To Service/CPT code: This is where you enter the CPT that you want to change it to. For example, to change 90801 to 90834, you would enter 90834 in the To Service/CPT code.
- Also change all client CPT code defaults: In Therabill, you have the ability to define a default CPT code for each of your patients. If you would also like to change the default CPT code for all clients that have their default CPT code set to the CPT code that you have entered in the Change Service/CPT code text box, then check this box. For example, if you are changing CPT code 90801 to 90834 and you check this checkbox, then all clients who have a default CPT code currently set to 90801 will be changed to a default CPT code of 90834.
- Date of Service is on or after: Enter a date in this text field and then only sessions with a date of service on or after the date you have entered will be affected by the CPT code change. For example, only change the CPT code of sessions that have a date of service on or after 1/1/2013.
- Duration (range): Here you are entering a range of minutes. This will restrict the CPT code change to only sessions that have a duration (in minutes) that meet the range that you have entered here. For example, if you would only like to change the CPT code of sessions that have a duration between 50 and 70 minutes, then enter 50 in the first text box and 70 in the second text box. You can leave one of the text boxes blank to have an open ended range. For example, if you just enter 50 in the first text box, then it will change all sessions that have a duration greater than or equal to 50 minutes.
- Units (range): Here you are entering a range of units. This will restrict the CPT code change to only sessions that have units entered (for the CPT code) in the session that meet the range you indicate here. For example, if you would only like to change the CPT code of sessions that have a units between 3 - 4, then enter 3 in the first text box and 4 in the second text box. You can leave one of the text boxes blank to have an open ended range. For example, if you just enter 4 in the second text box, then it will only change sessions that have units less than or equal to 4.
Behavioral Health CPT Code Change Crosswalk
Due to the sweeping changes in Behavioral Health CPT codes in 2013, for your convenience, we have listed the crosswalk given by the APA below. More information can be found at the APA website (click here).
90801 - Initial Psychiatric Evaluation
- 90791 - Psychiatric diagnostic evaluation (no medical services)
- 90792 - Psychiatric diagnostic evaluation (with medical services)
90804 - 90808, 90816 - 90821 Psychotherapy
For use in all settings; time is with patient and/or family
- 90832 - Psychotherapy, 30 minutes
- 90834 - Psychotherapy, 45 minutes
- 90837 - Psychotherapy, 60 minutes
90805-90809, 90817-90822 - Evaluation Management (E/M) and Psychotherapy
- 90833 - 30-minute psychotherapy add-on code
- 90836 - 45-minute psychotherapy add-on code
- 90838 - 60-minute psychotherapy add-on code
90862 - Medication Management
- Appropriate E/M code (99xxx series)
90802, 90810-90815, 90823-90829, 90857 - Interactive Psychotherapy
- 90785 - interactive psychotherapy
NEW - Crisis Psychotherapy
- 90839 - psychotherapy for crisis, first 60 minutes
- 90840 - psychotherapy for crisis, each additional 30 minutes