Regarding the pre-authorizaton number that belongs in box 23 of the CMS-1500 form, should I complete a paper form, enter the number in box 23 and mail the claim to the insurance company? Or, is there a way to get that number on an electronic claim?
You can pre-populate box 23 of the CMS-1500 with the authorization number and submit your claim electronically by following these instructions:
- Click Clients on the top navigation bar.
- in your client list, find the client and click on the edit icon for that client.
- At the top of the edit client form, click Advanced tab
- On the left side, toward the middle of the Advanced Info form, enter the authorization number into the text box labeled Prior Auth Code:
- IMPORTANT: Save the changes to the client by clicking one of the "Save" buttons at the bottom of the form.
Now the pre-authorization number will go out on all claims for the client. The method described above is the simple way of getting an authorization number in to Box 23 of the CMS-1500.
Looking for something a little more powerful? Check out Authorization Watch
The method described above is a simple method for putting an authorization number in to Box 23. There is an alternative and more powerful method called Authorization Watch. Authorization Watch is used to track authorizations (i.e. you put in the number of sessions available, and every time you bill out, it deducts one).
For additional information, please see instructional video, Insurance Authorizations.