On the add / edit insurance card form, if you choose the Plan Type to be Medicare Part B and the Responsibility to be secondary or higher (not primary), then you will see a drop down box appear labeled Medicare Secondary.
This field is required when submitting EDI (electronic) claims to Medicare when Medicare is not the primary insurance. This code goes out in Loop 2000B Segment SBR-05. This code indicates what type of plan Medicare is secondary to. You must choose from the drop down list. An explanation of the codes (from the EDI standards) are as follows.
- 12 : Medicare Secondary Working Age Beneficiary or Spouse with Employer Group Health Plan.
- 13 : Medicare Secondary End-Stage Renal Disease Beneficiary in the Mandated Coordination Period with an Employer's Group Health Plan.
- 14 : Medicare Secondary, No-fault insurance including Auto is primary.
- 15 : Medicare Secondary Worker's Compensation.
- 16 : Medicare Secondary Public Health Service (PHS) or Other Federal Agency.
- 41 : Medicare Secondary Black Lung
- 42 : Medicare Secondary Veteran's Administration.
- 43 : Medicare Secondary Disabled Beneficiary Under Age 65 with Large Group Health Plan (LGHP).
- 47 : Medicare Secondary, Other Liability Insurance is Primary.